WHO WAS MARIA MONTESSORI?
Maria Montessori was an Italian physician, educator and innovator who developed an educational method which follows the way children naturally learn and develop. Dr. Montessori opened her first school – the Casa dei Bambini or Children’s House – in 1907 in the city of Rome. Internationally acclaimed for the success of her method, Dr. Montessori traveled the world, writing extensively about her educational approach and training others in her method, until her death in 1952.
There are now more than 5,000 Montessori schools in the United States and Maria Montessori’s method is embraced and practiced in at least 110 countries worldwide.
AUTHENTIC MONTESSORI SCHOOLS OFFER:
STUDENT CHOICE In Montessori classrooms, the children choose their own work. The Montessori trained Guides prepare the environment and present lessons. Children are free to choose the activities that engage them deeply.
CHILD CENTERED LEARNING Children are encouraged to work at their own pace in environments designed especially for their growth and development! Uninterrupted time in the classroom fosters exploration, curiosity and concentration.
MIXED-AGE GROUPINGS Having a mixture of ages promotes peer learning and collaboration. Older students have opportunities for leadership while younger students benefit from having many teachers.
Did you know….
these extraordinary individuals attended Montessori schools
- Larry Page and Sergey Brin – Founders of Google
- Yo Yo Ma – Grammy-award winning cellist and UN Peace Ambassador
- Julia Child – Author and chef
- Jeff Bezos – Founder of Amazon.com
- Joshua Bell – Grammy-award winning violinist
- Taylor Swift – Grammy-award winning singer and songwriter
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez – Nobel Prize winner for Literature
- Will Wright – Video game pioneer and creator of the Sims
- Peter Drucker – Author & Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient
- Anne Frank – author, diarist from World War II